Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I had Staff Season Passes (Bike/Hike for summer and Ski/Nordic for Winter 2019. These are complimentary benefit to my employment with the Hotel resort company. It is Taxable Benefit to me and is Deductible. Where do I start when filing my T1 for 2019?

1 Reply

I had Staff Season Passes (Bike/Hike for summer and Ski/Nordic for Winter 2019. These are complimentary benefit to my employment with the Hotel resort company. It is Taxable Benefit to me and is Deductible. Where do I start when filing my T1 for 2019?

When you receive a complimentary benefit such as recreational passes, these are included as a "taxable benefit" to the employee. Most taxable benefits are not deductible, and those that are usually need to have a signed T2200 stating that the employee had to pay for these expenses themselves. 

Although we can't find any information specific to the passes you refer to, the following information from CRA explains in greater detail when Recreational Facilities and Club Dues are considered to be taxable benefits to the employee. 

CRA Taxable Benefits - Recreational Facilities and Club Dues