Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a prescription for medicinal cannabis, can I claim what was purchased from licenced producers? Can I claim the shipping and tax amounts or just the product cost?

1 Reply

I have a prescription for medicinal cannabis, can I claim what was purchased from licenced producers? Can I claim the shipping and tax amounts or just the product cost?

You can claim the tax amounts that are added to your medicinal cannabis, as CRA states in the Income Tax Folio on Medical Expenses:

The CRA takes the view that eligible medical expenses include the goods and services/harmonized sales tax (GST/HST) that is added to the cost of certain medical services.

There is nothing specific from the CRA that says the shipping costs can also be included as a valid medical expense. You may want to contact the CRA directly and ask for clarification on claiming these costs.

From the CRA Medical Expenses guide:

Medical cannabis (marihuana) â€“ the amounts paid for cannabis, cannabis oil, cannabis plant seeds, or cannabis products purchased for medical purposes from a holder of a licence for sale (as defined in subsection 264(1) of the Cannabis Regulations). The patient must be a holder of a medical document (as defined in subsection 264(1) of the Cannabis Regulations). The Cannabis Regulations require that the patient be registered as a client of the holder of a licence for sale and require the patient to make their purchases from the holder they are registered with.