Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
artmoon

I tried to enter medical expenses i paid for my 20 year old daughter and do not see where I indicate these were her expenses and not mine

Same problem - where do I claim her public transportation pass?
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
fuzzy

I tried to enter medical expenses i paid for my 20 year old daughter and do not see where I indicate these were her expenses and not mine

Regarding transit passes for your daughter, you cannot claim these unless she was under 19 years of age on Dec 31/16.  For this and more info on transit passes,  please see http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/ncm-tx/rtrn/cmpltng/ddctns/lns360-390/364/wh-eng.html

View solution in original post

2 Replies
fuzzy

Regarding transit passes for your daughter, you cannot claim these unless she was under 19 years of age on Dec 31/16.  For this and more info on transit passes,  please see http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/ncm-tx/rtrn/cmpltng/ddctns/lns360-390/364/wh-eng.html

When using TurboTax Standard, enter the name of your daughter under the dependent information in the Profile section of your return.  Also in the profile section of your return, select yes for medical expense as well as public transit amounts. You can simply add up the total amounts of the transit passes and enter it when prompted.  You do not need to specify which person you are claiming them for.  For the medical expenses, you will be prompted to enter the medical expenses under the heading "Deductions" and it will take you to the page titled "Medical Expense for Other Dependents".