Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
0hJuju007

Instructions for claiming Medical Expenses is vague

Hey,

I'm trying to enter my medical expenses and in your help guide under When entering a single entry of the total amount of receipts it says 1. fill out the form once by entering the total amount of the medical receipts

What I do not understand is what I'm supposed to enter under type, who the payment was made to, and the date (it says to just make sure the date is in the year as my tax return so I just put any date from 2022?).

Should I make different receipts for every kind of service and person I made the payment to, where I would have different totals for each service and provider? Or should I leave those areas blank? Also, I have one receipt from 2021 should I claim it separately or can I claim it together?

1 Reply

Instructions for claiming Medical Expenses is vague

In TurboTax Online, if you check off that you only have medical expenses for the current year, then you get two options: 

1. Enter each receipt individually, with full details (except for the date, because it’s assumed to all be in 2022).
  2. Enter the total of all your medical expenses. Just one number, no other info.

As you have an unclaimed receipt from 2021, you won’t see the 2nd option. You have to enter individual receipts, with dates. You can combine things together, but you must keep your claim period in mind. So, if you got 3 prescription drugs on the same day, you could put those together. If you bought glasses in January 2022, and another pair in December 2022, you would want to enter those two receipts separately, because if your claim period includes part of 2021, then the expense from December 2022 may have to be left for next year.