Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zetaleo

My work reimburses me up to a certain $ amount of my medical/dental expenses for the year. How am I supposed to account for this in turbotax?

If one of my receipts was say, $1000, and my work covered $200, would I just change the receipt to $800 instead of $1000? Or is there a separate location I need to enter the $200 reimbursement?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My work reimburses me up to a certain $ amount of my medical/dental expenses for the year. How am I supposed to account for this in turbotax?

The amount on the T4, if any, is just the medical premiums included as a taxable benefit.  As to what you pay out of pocket, that is what you record as an expense.  In your scenario, the cost is $1000, you are reimbursed $200, then yes, you record $800.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Good afternoon,
Usually your employer will include these amounts on your T4.
Have you discussed this with your employer?
Thank you,
Leeanne@TurboTax
nicholas2
Returning Member

that is not a correct response !   you are confusing benefit claim with benefit  premium

The amount on the T4, if any, is just the medical premiums included as a taxable benefit.  As to what you pay out of pocket, that is what you record as an expense.  In your scenario, the cost is $1000, you are reimbursed $200, then yes, you record $800.

nicholas2
Returning Member

turbo tax is confusing their client:  In previous years  ,I seem to  recall , we listed the  each claim amount  and also listed the benefit reimbursement  amount . This year you changed;   leaving the client searching how to declare  the reimbursement  amount .

I didn't find it confusing at all.  Perhaps it's just you that is confused.
nicholas2
Returning Member

IS confused no longer.  But WAS confused  -  YES  -until I figured out the Turbotax change  from previous years. Thanks for  paying attention.

I did pay attention.  That is why I wasn't confused in the first place.