Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GTWS

Is the Medical Expenses Worksheet submitted to CRA ?

I have a very detailed excel listing of all my family member medical expenses.  I would rather not enter each line item in Turbotax but rather the sum total. I noticed when entering each expense it populates a Medical Expense Worksheet which is appended to the T1 pdf after completing a submission. Does anyone know if the Medical Expenses Worksheet is submitted to CRA as part of the netfile process or just the result on line item 33099 ?
3 Replies

No, the medical expense worksheet does not follow your return to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA).

There is a way to enter your medical benefits in a  single entry of the total amount of medical receipts. Before beginning, make sure you've entered all your income information into TurboTax. TurboTax will use these details to automatically calculate the minimum medical expenses you need to enter, as well as to determine your eligibility for claiming a deduction.

Note: You may want to keep all your receipts for at least six years in case the CRA asks to see them.

1. Select Find from the top right corner
  2. Enter medical expenses in the Find window
  3. Select Medical Expenses Profile from the list of results
  4. Select Go. The Your Medical Profile step appears
  5. Select all checkboxes that apply, then select Continue
  6. The Medical Expenses step appears. TurboTax will display the minimum amount of eligible medical expenses required to generate a tax benefit
  7. If the eligible medical expenses are less than the minimum amount displayed by TurboTax, select Done, as there aren't enough expenses to generate a tax credit. Otherwise, select Enter New Medical Expense, and the Medical Expenses Receipt step appears
  8. Fill out the form once by entering the total amount of the medical receipts. then select Continue
  9. Select Done
  10. Make sure the date entered is in the same tax year as your return

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

PJG2
Returning Member

The explanation is fine except that I don't see any explanation of exactly where I see "Find" in the upper right hand corner. You didn't provide any starting point. Is it on one of the Forms, T-Slips? This is so frustrating. I have used TurboTax for years and now am rethinking the wisdom of using a program that has no real person to person support.

@PJG2 If you are using the app or the online version with a small screen, there will be a magnifying glass in the top right instead of the word Find. If you are using TurboTax CD/Download in Forms mode, there is no "Find", just click on the Forms icon instead.