Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving Expenses

Can I purchase an enclosed trailer for my move and claim that as a moving expense? The trailer would be around $6-10,000.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Moving Expenses

In general, storage cost can be claimed as a moving expense, as long as the amount is considered “reasonable”. If you could argue that purchasing a trailer would be as cost-effective as, for example, renting a trailer, it may be a reasonable expense. You can inquire directly with the CRA regarding your specific situation.

For further information, please check our TurboTax FAQ: How do I claim moving expenses in TurboTax?

If you require further assistance please contact our phone support team or contact us directly on Facebook or Twitter.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Moving Expenses

No, you can't purchase a trailer and claim it as a moving expense even if you purchased it to move. 

For more details about moving expenses, please visit: Line 21900 – Moving expenses: Expenses you can deduct

If you require further assistance, please feel free to reach out to us through 

our phone support team or contact us directly on Facebook or Twitter

where our experts will be more than happy to answer your questions with details in a quick and effective manner.

Thank you for using TurboTax.

Moving Expenses

In general, storage cost can be claimed as a moving expense, as long as the amount is considered “reasonable”. If you could argue that purchasing a trailer would be as cost-effective as, for example, renting a trailer, it may be a reasonable expense. You can inquire directly with the CRA regarding your specific situation.

For further information, please check our TurboTax FAQ: How do I claim moving expenses in TurboTax?

If you require further assistance please contact our phone support team or contact us directly on Facebook or Twitter.

Moving Expenses

That's what I was thinking too. 

It would cost me about 6k to rent a trailer when I could purchase one for the same price. I will give them a call though.

Thank you both for the responses. 

Moving Expenses

I called the CRA, and yes I can deduct the cost of the trailer if it is reasonable. It is however subject to Capital Gains tax if I were to sell it for more than what I paid for it.