Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
le50amck

My husband is an amercian citizen and non resident of canada his income is only US based my return seems to be automatically using him as a deduction how do i fix this? I entered him as non resident with 000000000 SIN

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My husband is an amercian citizen and non resident of canada his income is only US based my return seems to be automatically using him as a deduction how do i fix this? I entered him as non resident with 000000000 SIN

You need to enter an estimate of your husband's income that is high enough to ensure you do not receive any Benefits or Credits you are not entitled too. 

To make sure you do not receive a "Spousal Credit", the estimate must exceed $11,424. 

You also want to make sure you do not receive any GST or Child Tax Benefit (CTB) amounts.

The total GST credit you may claim is reduced by 5% of your combined adjusted net incomes for 2015 in excess of a specified threshold, which is currently $35,926 (this amount is adjusted annually for inflation). Therefore, a married couple with two eligible children qualify for the full credit of $830 if their combined family income is $35,926 or less. Their entitlement decreases to zero once family income exceeds $52,765.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

You need to enter an estimate of your husband's income that is high enough to ensure you do not receive any Benefits or Credits you are not entitled too. 

To make sure you do not receive a "Spousal Credit", the estimate must exceed $11,424. 

You also want to make sure you do not receive any GST or Child Tax Benefit (CTB) amounts.

The total GST credit you may claim is reduced by 5% of your combined adjusted net incomes for 2015 in excess of a specified threshold, which is currently $35,926 (this amount is adjusted annually for inflation). Therefore, a married couple with two eligible children qualify for the full credit of $830 if their combined family income is $35,926 or less. Their entitlement decreases to zero once family income exceeds $52,765.