Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Non resident tax returns

We've filed as non residents since 2017, Turbo Tax doesn't seem to accept this
5 Replies

Non resident tax returns

Are you using TurboTax Online or Download? Are you receiving an error? 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Non resident tax returns

I'm doing this online on my Mac, it's confusing because I had to indicate I left BC last year and correct all the addresses to France. I left (we left) in 2017 and had accountants prepare our returns since then.

for example it asks if we hold foreign property....well our house is foreign but not with regard to non resident tax returns 

Non resident tax returns

Something may have mistakenly been missed. In order to help you with this situation, we believe your best option is to contact our telephone support team for further assistance, as they have the option to view your screen to help resolve the issue. To contact them, please follow this link: Contact Us

​​​​​​​Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Non resident tax returns

I did get phone assistance and together we found out that expert help is NOT available for non-residents.

Non resident tax returns

Many questions need to be answered to know if you have been filing your Canadian income tax return correctly.

Are we correct to assume you've been out of Canada since 2017?

As per the CRA: you have residential ties with Canada

The most important thing to consider when determining your residency status in Canada for income tax purposes is whether or not you maintain or establish significant residential ties with Canada.

Significant residential ties to Canada include:

Secondary residential ties that may be relevant include:

• personal property in Canada, such as a car or furniture
  • social ties in Canada, such as memberships in Canadian recreational or religious organizations
  • economic ties in Canada, such as Canadian bank accounts or credit cards
  • a Canadian driver's license
  • a Canadian passport
  • health insurance with a Canadian province or territory

Your residency status if you normally, customarily, or routinely live in another country

You may be considered a non-resident of Canada if you did not have significant residential ties with Canada and:

• You lived outside Canada throughout the year (except if you were a deemed resident of Canada)
  • You stayed in Canada for less than 183 days in the tax year

Please read the information regarding your status is before completing your tax return.

We would suggest you contact the CRA if you are not sure what your Canadian residency should be 1(800) 959-8281

Canada Revenue Agency / Customer service.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.