Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Northern Resident Deductions - Trips

We have my 19yr old living with us, he goes to school part time and works part time.  Can he claim the trips out on his taxes as well?  We travel as a family most times.  Turbo Tax didn't populate anything to do with Northern Residents Allowance for him.

3 Replies

You can claim a travel deduction if you have lived, on a permanent basis, in one or more prescribed zones for a continuous period of at least six consecutive months. That period can begin or end in the tax year for which you are filing a tax return. You can claim a travel deduction for trips for which you or a member of your household (or, under proposed changes, an eligible family member) incurred travel expenses.

Generally, you can only claim this deduction for a trip taken for vacation, family, or medical reasons and that started from a prescribed zone. Under proposed changes, you can claim this deduction only for yourself and an eligible family member.

For more information, please see the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) link as Northern Residents Deductions for 2021

Thank you for using TurboTax

Yes, this I'm aware of.  I just want to know since he's no longer a dependent, can he claim trips on his taxes as well?

Yes, he can claim his own trips. As seen in the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) link above and found in the Note: no more than two non-medical personal trips taken by each person (you or an eligible family member) can be claimed in total for the year by all taxpayers. Please view the CRA "Note" included above for more information.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.