Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RRSP contribution room left with RPP contributions

I called CRA to inquire about some ambiguity as to whether RPP contributions on Box 20 of the T4 slip reduce the overall RRSP contribution room. I contribute 8% towards the RPP while the employer matches it. 2022 was the first time I contributed to a RPP (new job). My question to the experts is does the RRSP room reduce by the amount of 16% of my combined RPP contributions or is it only reduced by 8% (my contribution). I was advised by the CRA agent that my RRSP room is reduced by box 52 amount of my T4 or 16%. When I use Turbotax it shows no deductions from the RRSP overall limit other than the amount I contributed towards a RRSP in 2022. A quick response would be greatly appreciated.

1 Reply

RRSP contribution room left with RPP contributions

As per the Canada Revenue Agency: Box 52 - Pension adjustment - line 20600

Generally, this amount represents the value of the benefits you earned in the year under a registered pension plan or a deferred profit-sharing plan.

This amount is not an income or a deduction. You only have to enter it on line 20600 of your return. The CRA will use it to calculate your RRSP/PRPP deduction limit for next year, which the CRA will show on your latest notice of assessment, notice of reassessment, or Form T1028, Your RRSP/PRPP Information for 2019.

To keep track of your RRSP deduction/contribution room, you can contact CRA or access the information in your My Account services. If you are not registered in My Account, you will find this information in your NOA (Notice of Assessment).

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.