Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dawnberry
Returning Member

T777 work from home

Hi, 

I have a T2200 from my employer.  I am a salaried employee.  I'm confused about cell phone expenses and where I input into Turbo tax for the T777.  I pay for my cell phone plan and get partial payment from my employer, the remaining amount I'd like to claim as I do use my cell phone for work a fair bit.  Do I enter under Line 16 (Calculation of work-space-in-the-home expenses), Other expenses (46) OR do I enter under Employment Expenses - employment use of a cell phone (9270 / 8).  

Thanks for your help. 

3 Replies

T777 work from home

If your employer pays for your cell phone, then you will not be able to claim it.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

dawnberry
Returning Member

T777 work from home

I pay for the cell phone and plan and get a partial reimbursement.  Am I not allowed to claim the remaining amount? 

T777 work from home

As per our TurboTax article: T777 Tax Form: Statement of Employment Expenses In general, you have to pay for those expenses as a condition of employment and not be reimbursed. If you work from home, you have to use the space only for your work. In all cases, your employer must provide you with a completed T2200 form which should indicate which expenses you were required to pay.

Therefore, if your employer indicates the added cost you paid was needed for your work, then you should be able to claim it. You may wish to clarify this with the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) by calling them at     1-800-959-8281.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.