Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Madj

Child Care - Higher Income spouse qualifies to claim child care expenses. I need to complete T788. Can I do this with the online software? How? If not, how do I proceed?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Child Care - Higher Income spouse qualifies to claim child care expenses. I need to complete T788. Can I do this with the online software? How? If not, how do I proceed?

You have to enter number of weeks or month for the deduction  on the higher return  to calculate.  May be just follow the questions through again and see if the numbers are all entered., Unless the qualifying weeks/ month are entered , it will not calculate. and in some cases it will give part of the child care to the higher income and the balance to the lower. so may be verify that too. It might be only portion that is showing there. 

View solution in original post

4 Replies

You have to enter number of weeks or month for the deduction  on the higher return  to calculate.  May be just follow the questions through again and see if the numbers are all entered., Unless the qualifying weeks/ month are entered , it will not calculate. and in some cases it will give part of the child care to the higher income and the balance to the lower. so may be verify that too. It might be only portion that is showing there. 

Madj

Thanks. I just missed seeing that box all together. It might be useful to have the software flag a warning when both of these boxes are left at zero, even though the person has indicated that they qualify. Please pass this on to Turbo Tax.
Very many thanks again.

you may answer questions in Deductions>additional dependent information that will trigger form T778

Madj

Thanks for the response and help. After the Deductions/Additional Dependent information screen, the software later takes me to a 'Child Care Situation' page, where I'm able to indicate that my spouse qualifies. Next I come to a page that is essentially part C of T778. I'm able to indicate how my spouse qualifies. However, Turbotax still applies the ChildCare expenses to me (and applying the lower limit, given my lower income). Any clues?