Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revenue Quebec says I can claim the portion of the premiums paid to a private medical plan by myself and the portion paid by my employer. Where do I enter it?

Originally I was just going to add the employer portion as a medical expense, but there's also the "Private Medical Plans" section.

What's also confusing is many people here seem to say you can't claim the employer-paid portion of the premiums, but the Revenu Canada website clearly indicates otherwise: (see http://www.revenuquebec.ca/documents/en/publications/in/in-130-v(2014-10).pdf for reference). 

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Revenue Quebec says I can claim the portion of the premiums paid to a private medical plan by myself and the portion paid by my employer. Where do I enter it?

The employer paid portion can be claimed on the Quebec return because in Quebec, an employer paid insturance plan is a taxable benefit (contrary to the federal return). Normally the portion that your employer paid will appear in box J of your Relevé 1, and you will notice that your box A amount is often equal to the amount of box J plus the amout in box 14 of your federal T4 slip. In other words, it is considered as addidionnal income for Quebec tax purposes. Conversely, it is also an elegible medical expense...after the 3% of income threshhold is met. this is why in Quebec you really want to add up *all* your medical expenses such as the portion of drug expenses that are not covered by your plan, etc.

As for entering the amount, just entering the Box J amount when entering the RelevĂ©1 will automatically set it as a medical expense. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply

The employer paid portion can be claimed on the Quebec return because in Quebec, an employer paid insturance plan is a taxable benefit (contrary to the federal return). Normally the portion that your employer paid will appear in box J of your Relevé 1, and you will notice that your box A amount is often equal to the amount of box J plus the amout in box 14 of your federal T4 slip. In other words, it is considered as addidionnal income for Quebec tax purposes. Conversely, it is also an elegible medical expense...after the 3% of income threshhold is met. this is why in Quebec you really want to add up *all* your medical expenses such as the portion of drug expenses that are not covered by your plan, etc.

As for entering the amount, just entering the Box J amount when entering the Relevé1 will automatically set it as a medical expense.