Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On what line do US charitable donations appear? (I see schedule 9 handles the Canadian donations)

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

On what line do US charitable donations appear? (I see schedule 9 handles the Canadian donations)

You are not able to claim US. charitable donations on your Canadian income tax return.  The only exceptions are the United Nations and its agencies and registered universities outside Canada that are prescribed to be universities that have a student body which ordinarily includes students from Canada.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/ncm-tx/rtrn/cmpltng/ddctns/lns300-350/349/gfts-eng.html

View solution in original post

3 Replies

You are not able to claim US. charitable donations on your Canadian income tax return.  The only exceptions are the United Nations and its agencies and registered universities outside Canada that are prescribed to be universities that have a student body which ordinarily includes students from Canada.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/ncm-tx/rtrn/cmpltng/ddctns/lns300-350/349/gfts-eng.html

The request relates to US donations offsetting US investment income. Where does this appear on the federal tax form?
Sunkissed

I thought I could deduct donations to a US university to the extent that I have sufficient US income to offset it.  What I’m seeing here leads me to believe that isn’t true.  Please clarify.