Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does turbo tax also generate forms T1161 and T1243(related to departure tax) for Canada non-residents? How do I report departure tax as a non-resident through turbo tax?

4 Replies

Does turbo tax also generate forms T1161 and T1243(related to departure tax) for Canada non-residents? How do I report departure tax as a non-resident through turbo tax?

TurboTax does not have these forms in our software but for your departure tax, you will need to claim it as a capital gain. Here is quoting directly from the CRA - link provided below for more information.

"Departure tax

When you leave Canada, you are considered to have sold certain types of property (even if you have not sold them) at their fair market value (FMV) and to have immediately reacquired them for the same amount. This is called a  deemed disposition  and you may have to report a capital gain (also known as departure tax).

Your property could include the following: shares, jewelry, paintings, or a collection."

Links below from the CRA  

If TurboTax does not provide these forms for our tax returns, how do you recommend we submit these forms as part of our tax return? Should we just download the documents, and mail them somewhere? If so, where would that address be? Usually CRA forms, in my experience, specify the location that the document should be mailed to (e.g. as the NR-73 form does).

Gnewby

Was wondering this myself. Did you ever get the answer? Am going through this right now.

This is what it says on the Form T1161.

Attach a copy of this form to your tax return. Even if you do not have to file a return, you must send this form on or before your
filing due date. The penalty for failing to file this form by the due date is $25 for each day the form is late. There is a minimum
penalty of $100 and a maximum penalty of $2,500.

I will be doing this for next year and I have heard of people getting a fine of $2500 which is $5000 per couple!!!  So I would send it before the tax deadline for sure and the easiest method to use is to Login to the CRA website, and then click on SUBMIT DOCUMENT, and the upload it, and then submit it.  That's what I will be doing.