Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to force TurboTax to use charitable donations on spouses return instead of optimizing and claiming them against mine, in our joint return?

I'm using TurboTax Home and Business 2016.  I am in a common law relationship (a number of years now), so our returns are done together in TurboTax.  My partner made some charitable donations and I didn't.  I am the higher earner (with more tax payable) and TurboTax is optimizing the returns by adding the charitable donations to my return.  How can I force TurboTax to claim the charitable donations against her taxes, so she will get the credit in her refund?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How to force TurboTax to use charitable donations on spouses return instead of optimizing and claiming them against mine, in our joint return?

Use the DON worksheet in the Forms area of Turbo Tax to designate who you wish to claim the donations amount.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Use the DON worksheet in the Forms area of Turbo Tax to designate who you wish to claim the donations amount.