Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is an optimized donation? why am i stuck on this page ? i don't know whether i want to override something i don't have or understand.

1 Reply

What is an optimized donation? why am i stuck on this page ? i don't know whether i want to override something i don't have or understand.

TurboTax automatically calculates credits and deductions so that you get the best tax benefit. With charitable donations and gifts, this typically results in all donations being claimed on the return of the spouse with the higher net income. (Optimize it for best results) 

The tax credit on the first $200 of donations and gifts is at a lower rate (15%) than the remaining balance (29%). When you split charitable donations between yourself and your spouse or common-law partner, you effectively cause the tax credit to be 15% of the first $400, reducing the tax credit. Generally, you can claim all or part of your donations, up to the limit of 75% of your net income. For this reason, it is usually better for the person with the higher net income to claim charitable donations on their return, as they can claim a higher amount.

If you’d prefer to override the optimization, here’s how:

In online editions of TurboTax

1. In the upper-right corner of your screen, select Find*.
  2. In the Find window, type Donations Profile and select Go.
  3. Check the box Donation receipts made to a qualified charitable organization not reported on a T-Slip and select Continue.
  4. If you haven’t already, enter your donation amounts and select Continue. Note: It doesn’t matter whose return you enter the amounts on.
  5. On the Donations summary, select Done with donations.
  6. On the Maximizing Your Charitable Donations step, answer yes to the question Do you want to override the optimization?
  7. Choose how you’d like to override the optimization and select Continue.

In CD/download editions of TurboTax

1. In the upper-right corner of your screen, select Find*.
  2. In the Find window, type Charitable donations and select Go.
  3. Check the box Donation receipts made to a qualified charitable organization not reported on a T-Slip and select Continue.
  4. If you haven’t already, enter your donation amounts and select Continue. Note: It doesn’t matter whose return you enter the amounts on.
  5. On the Donations summary, select Done with donations.
  6. On the Carry forward donations step, select Continue.
  7. On the Split credit with a spouse or common-law partner step, enter the amount to override the optimization, and select Continue.

* If you don’t see the Find button, you may not have completed the Setting Up/Introduction section of your return. Continue through the Setting Up section until the Find button appears.