Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jjupton

Where do I find the charitable and medical expense optimizers???

During the review steps the systems mentions usiing both the the Medical Expense Optimizer and the Charitable Donation Optimizer but I cannot find where these are located nor how to use these optimizers

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I found the Medical Expense Optimizer and the Charitable Donation Optimizer by clicking the find button at the top right corner then typing Medical expense optimizer or Charitable donation optimizer.

The optimizers are just simple popup programs. The Medical Expense Optimizer can help you determine the best 12-month period for your medical expense claim and which spouse should make the medical expense claim. The Charitable Donation Optimizer can help you determine who should report and claim your donations and the balance you should carry forward to next year.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

I found the Medical Expense Optimizer and the Charitable Donation Optimizer by clicking the find button at the top right corner then typing Medical expense optimizer or Charitable donation optimizer.

The optimizers are just simple popup programs. The Medical Expense Optimizer can help you determine the best 12-month period for your medical expense claim and which spouse should make the medical expense claim. The Charitable Donation Optimizer can help you determine who should report and claim your donations and the balance you should carry forward to next year.

I found the Medical Expense Optimizer, and I can use it to compare taxes owing as I change the 12-month time window, or as I select whether the expenses are claimed on my own tax return or my spouse's tax return.  But it seems the tool does not automatically enter the best selection into the tax return. Is that the way that it is supposed to work?   It seems that sometimes it leaves the choice at whatever selection I made on the Medical Expense Worksheet (i.e. which one of us claims the expense), and at other times it is actually making an incorrect choice (claiming on the return of person with the lower net income, but because of some other things, this ends up with a higher total tax payable for the year for the two of us combined).   VERY CONFUSING and frustrating!

I can't access the option for " FIND,"  at the top right's corner, is there any way to access it?

@guapito_ncls 

For 2020, 2021 & 2022, the menu is in the top left ≡.