Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
smcsweeney
Returning Member

Where to deduct moving expenses that were repaid to my employer?

I moved from Alberta to Ontario for work in 2021, under a 3-year relocation agreement with my employer. The employer reimbursed me for all of my moving expenses in 2021 (non-taxable), so I did not deduct any moving expenses on my 2021 tax submission. In 2023 I moved back to Alberta and had to repay a portion of the reimbursed moving expenses to my employer. Where can I deduct these repaid expenses? On the T1-M I only see carryover not deducted from 2022. Would this be considered an employment expense to be deducted on line 22900? Somewhere else? 

Thank you for the help. 

1 Reply

Where to deduct moving expenses that were repaid to my employer?

You will click beside - Moved at least 40 kilometres to be closer to a new school or work location.

As per our TurboTax article: How to Claim Moving & Relocation Expenses in Canada Use Form T1-M, Moving Expenses Deduction to calculate all of the moving expenses that you can claim on line 21900 of your T1 return. 

You do not need to attach the T1-M Form to your return, nor do you need to attach all of the receipts and documents to support the claim. But you must keep these receipts and documents handy if the CRA requests them in support of your claim. 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.