Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ajwagener

Why does software prevent claiming max medical expenses of $2,635 on both my return and husband's return when each of our total expenses are well beyond that amount?

Turbo Tax only lets me claim medical expenses on either my return or my spouses. Our medical expenses well exceed the thresholds and I want to claim the max on both returns. I am unable to override the software. Suggestions?
4 Replies

Why does software prevent claiming max medical expenses of $2,635 on both my return and husband's return when each of our total expenses are well beyond that amount?

Are you using TurboTax CD/Download or TurboTax Online?

ajwagener

I am using the downloaded version (in Forms view).

ajwagener

I have resolved the issue.

Go to EasySteps to enter your medical expenses in TurboTax, go to the "Deductions" section, and select "Medical Expenses" under it. TurboTax will calculate your expenses and suggest the best way to get the best refund. If you have excessive medical expenses, TurboTax will help you carry them forward to the next year.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.