Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
panv_can

Working in USA, family living in Canada - What deductions can I avail?

I am currently living and working in Canada with my Family (spouse and 2 kids). I will be moving to the USA for a new job, but my family will stay back in Canada. I will travel back during weekends and stay with the family. The family will stay in our own home, which is Mortgaged and also generating rental income. As far as I understand, I will have to file both Canadian and US taxes. Also, as part of Canadian taxes, I will have to report world wide income and claim any Foreign Tax credit.

What I am looking to find outis  if I could claim  any deductions like house rent in USA, travel cost, family support etc.  as part of my Canadian Taxes.

3 Replies

You might be able to claim moving expenses, However, since your family is still in Canada, and you return home on the weekends, the CRA might not consider you as having moved. 

Expenses like rent and travel costs can only be claimed if you have a T2200 from your employer stating that you were required by them to incur these expenses. 

Child support payments can't be claimed, and neither are any payments that you send to your spouse. However you might be able to claim the spousal amount if your spouse has little or no income. You or your spouse might also be able to claim child care expenses, if you have to pay for someone to watch them while you work.

panv_can

Thanks for the details as it provides clarity about my Tax situation. Regarding the below point:

"However you might be able to claim the spousal amount if your spouse has little or no income."

My wife would have some income by doing some gig work, so wanted to know if there are any income limits for my wife to be aware of, which could prevent me from claiming spousal amount.

The spousal amount is Basic Personal Amount (BPA) of the supporting taxpayer (minimum $13,520/maximum of $15,000 for 2023), less the net income of the spouse.