Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sushma18
Returning Member

Adding common in law spouse to my tax returns asks for line 23600 of my spouse income

While doing the tax returns, I mentioned my marital status as single previous year taxes and changed it to common law for 2019 tax return. I entered SIN and all other details of my spouse later in the steps it asks for net income(line 23600) & Line 275 of my spouse(These lines can only be found after the tax return but my spouse didn't file his tax return for 2019). we tried it another way around i.e. my spouse added me as a partner and entered all the info required then it asked for my net income line 23600 and line 275. So I am stuck at this step. please someone help

1 Reply

Adding common in law spouse to my tax returns asks for line 23600 of my spouse income

You can do the return of the lower income spouse/partner first, and put an estimate of the other spouse/partner’s income to complete the return. Finish the second spouse/partner’s return, then go back and put the correct number into the first return. When everything is correct, you can file both returns.

You can also prepare your returns together and have TurboTax automatically add the info to both your returns. In TurboTax Online, this would mean starting a new return. In TurboTax CD/Download you can add your spouse to your existing return in Forms mode.