Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sgager
Returning Member

Applying for refund - How can my Order Number be an incorrect format when I am literally copy/pasting it?

Applying for a refund due to an email mishap; paid to have my taxes prepped, but was using an incorrect email for it. Switched emails, paid the fee a second time, taxes are filed and sent, now seeking a refund for the incorrect email. Was advised to apply for a refund by a gentleman over the phone who directed me to a product request form. It asks me for an order number, which I have via receipt from the incorrect email. However, it tells me it is in the incorrect format, even when just copy/pasting the string of characters that has "Order Number" directly beside it. What could I possibly be doing wrong?

1 Reply

Applying for refund - How can my Order Number be an incorrect format when I am literally copy/pasting it?

When you are copying the number, you may accidentally be copying some invisible formatting with it, or picking up an extra space. This can cause the form to reject the Order Number even though it’s correct.

You can try pasting the number into a program like Notepad, TextEdit or even your browser’s search box and then copy it again. This should remove any hidden formatting, so that when you paste it into the form it will be “clean”. It’s also easier to copy just the number without grabbing an extra space.

You can also try just trying in the Order Number.