Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jlm90
Returning Member

As a non-resident, do I need to file a Canadian tax return?

Hi. I am a Canadian citizen living and working in South Korea. I am officially a non-resident of Canada and have received a number of NR4 slips. I have read that sometimes non-residents do not have to file a Canadian tax return, and sometimes they do. 

Can anyone please give me an easy-to-understand answer as to how I figure out whether I need to file a Canadian tax return or not? (I know I could call the CRA and ask, but I am really trying to avoid that.)

And if I do need to file a tax return, how exactly do I enter my NR4 slips into TurboTax? Can I do it in the free version of TurboTax, or do I have to pay to upgrade?

Thanks in advance.

3 Replies

If you permanently live abroad and have no residential ties to Canada, you are likely considered a non-resident of Canada.

• As a non-resident, you do not have to report world income to the CRA.
  • However, if you earn Canadian income such as pension payments or if you dispose of capital property in Canada, you must file a return to report your Canadian income.

In addition, the last year you live in Canada, you must file a final return. Report your income as usual, but if you claim any benefits or credits, only claim an amount related to the portion of the year you spent in Canada.

As we would need more information to help you, please visit this TurboTax article for clarification Non-Resident of CanadaNon-Resident of Canada.

Unfortunately, the free TurboTax version cannot be used for foreign income. Therefore you will need to use our Premier version.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

joyce7788
Returning Member

When I file my final tax return for the year I leave Canada, what do I select under the "my info" section when it ask where I leave on Dec 30, 2023. I left in April 2023. Do I just select the non-resident option? Thank you in advance.

Yes you will put that you are a non-resident.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.