Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can someone tell me why a loan loss i filled out on my return (loaned a now ***** company 35k) does not show up on the review/ return? I did fill in the fields.

Loan was in 2011 and i claimed it as unrecoverable for jan 2019.
1 Reply

Can someone tell me why a loan loss i filled out on my return (loaned a now ***** company 35k) does not show up on the review/ return? I did fill in the fields.

It's hard to determine from this forum why you are not seeing this loss applied to your 2019 return. If you are claiming an Available Business Investment Loss (ABIL) on your 2019 tax return, 50% of that $35k should be applying on Line 21700 of your tax return.

If you are using the CD/Download version of TurboTax, you may find it easiest to enter the ABIL in the Forms View directly on the ABIL Worksheet.

Please see the following links for more information and if you are still having issues with getting the amount to post to the T1 General, please reach out to our Customer Support Team.

TurboTax- Understanding Business Investment Losses

CRA - Lines 21699 and 21700 - What happens when you have an ABIL?

You can contact our Support Team by following the link below and in the field that says "Ask your question", type in "your question" and you will be directed to an agent that can assist you. TurboTax Customer Support