Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Canadian expat in the UK - partial year tax return?

Hi all! I'm looking for some advice – I'm a Canadian citizen living in Scotland (since early June 2022) on a Tier 5/Youth Mobility Visa. In the past, I would simply complete my tax return via Turbotax (as I am under 25) but have been advised that it is not possible to use Turbotax for a partial-year return (is this true?). I do not own any property in either country, am unmarried and have no dependents.

Employment Background:

• I work remotely for a Canadian/US-based company approx 15-20 hours a week.

• I also do Freelance work through the US-based platform Upwork. Due to the nature of freelance work, these hours vary greatly. I also have started taking on content creation projects via Instagram for companies, most recently a UK-based company.

• I am looking to potentially find secondary part-time work (in person) within the coming months to bring my total hours up to full-time.

Am I able to submit a partial year tax return via Turbotax for Jan 01-May 31 2022? Thank you in advance for any help!

3 Replies

No, you can’t do a partial year return in TurboTax. However, if you did become non-resident during the tax year, you can indicate this at the start of your return. Then your return will be adjusted based on the amount of time you were in Canada. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your reply, Susan! Is there any simple way to do a partial-year return myself? Or could I upgrade to a product like Turbotax live full service to help me submit this return? 

You can always download the tax forms from the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA)’s website and fill them in. The 2022 forms are not yet available though. 

You would not be able to use TurboTax Live Full Service if you are outside of Canada.