Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
msvumom

Cannot open file error code TT404 what does this mean?

After importing  2016 data, I have already opened this file a couple times in last 2 days and as recently as this afternoon but cannot tonight.

6 Replies

alain828

I had a similar issue with tt404 this is not a turbot ax file, and I did not transfer any file from 2016. Hope this help.
Here is what we did to solve my issue. Uninstall turbo tax software, update java, update window. Install c++2015. Delete my original turbo tax file. Re-boot computer. Re-install software. Start a new file. Thank you customer service for all your help.  It work in my case, there is an update coming soon to fix this tt404 error.
mattr30

Installed on Jan 9, 2018 and created a 2017 file. Everything was fine at that time. Today I opened quicktax and installed the latest update and it won't open my file, with the TT404 error. I have re-installed quicktax and installed all windows 10 updates, problem persists.

There is an error on installation with the microsoft redistributable, but was told it was ok to ignore.

Will there be a fix for this or do I have to start from scratch???????????????????????????
alain828

There was an update on Feb 2, If that did not solve your issue, you should call customer service.
mattr30

The update caused the problem. I called customer service and they said to wait for the next update.
alain828

Ok, you could delete your original file you created, and start a new one. It work in my case, it may or may not your in your case. Good luck.