Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
scote2020

Changing my Marital status in early 2019

Hi

I've been separated from my ex girlfriend on January 3rd 2019. However, TurboFax is asking me to indicate what was my marital status on December 31th, 2018, and I've indicate me as not single at that time, but I was single 5 days later. So How can I manage that? If I continue, they asking me to provides my ex income, and it is impossible for me to provide it. Have been in relationship only 3 days in 2019, and my both government files are up to date with my current marital status. I am stuck and I don't what I have to do.

1 Reply

Changing my Marital status in early 2019

Was your ex your girlfriend or was she your common-law partner? If she wasn’t your common-law partner, then you can choose single. If she was your common-law partner, then you’ll still need to include her SIN & income. The CRA still requires it, even if you were only together for a few days in the year. However, if you don’t know her exact income, you should put in $25,000 to avoid taking the spousal amount. 

This CRA page has more info on marital status and what they consider common-law: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/topics/about-your-tax-return/tax-re...