Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
johnnyb7

Confused about using TurboTax to create and NETFILE for multiple family members.

I just finished creating a tax return for my spouse using the Desktop version.

Then I see you cannot NETFILE "for someone else" I assume this means you cannot use your own CRA My Account to NETFILE someone elses return... However, the online help eludes to the fact that

you can create a return for your spouse, they just have to submit the NETFILE.

From the desktop help:

“Filing Electronically”:

1. If you prepared a tax return for your spouse or common-law partner as well as for yourself, choose who will file first. 
  2. The CRA requires that each taxpayer file his or her own return. That means you have to submit your returns through NETFILE one at a time -- you cannot send them together.

and from

"Can everybody use NETFILE?"

You cannot use NETFILE to send... a tax return for another person (for example, if a client prepared a spousal/family return, the client must create a separate ".ws" file and each client must file his or her own return). 

So, does this mean that each individual must be physically sit in front of the computer and enter their own My CRA/NETFILE Access Code?

1 Reply

Confused about using TurboTax to create and NETFILE for multiple family members.

NETFILE is meant to be used by individual taxpayers, but the CRA understands that family and friends will help each other do their taxes. So, yes, you can NETFILE your spouse’s return, your child’s return, your elderly mother’s return or even the return of your neighbor who’s not good with computers.

The NETFILE Access code is not mandatory, you can file your return without the code.