Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need to mention my spouse and kids who live outside of Canada and are not residents of the country?

Hi everyone,

I am trying to complete my first tax return and I am a little confused.

I am married but my spouse is not a resident of Canada, she lives in another country and she has never been in Canada. Do I need to mention here in my tax return and do I need to state her income?

We also have kids. My wife has 2 children of her own who have never been in Canada and are not residents of this country. Those are considered my stepchildren.

We also have a son together. He is my biological child. He has never been in Canada and he is not a Canadian resident.

Do I need to mention children in my tax return?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Do I need to mention my spouse and kids who live outside of Canada and are not residents of the country?

You will need to enter your marital status as married. Enter her information but you will enter that you live apart and her address. If you are supporting your wife, you will need to have the receipts to prove that you have supported her.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

You will need to enter your marital status as married. Enter her information but you will enter that you live apart and her address. If you are supporting your wife, you will need to have the receipts to prove that you have supported her.

Thanks!