Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Doing freelance as OWP and Tax filing

Hi,
I want to join a freelancer platform (Toptal, based in US) and have some questions about tax filing with them. Wonder if anyone has any experience. Thanks.
I think the general pay arrangement is: companies -> Toptal -> me. And I need to set up tax filing with Toptal.

Questions:
  1. I am on OWP currently and applying for PR (expected time 1-1.5 years). Can I do freelance with this type of platform? I know I can contract but not sure if freelancing and contracting are the same.
  2. Can I do freelance on top of a full time later with OWP?
  3. The filing options Toptal has are US citizen/US resident for tax purposes, and non-us citizen/non-us resident for US tax purpose. Both seems only for US tax purposes. I live in Canada so I am not sure if there will be a problem following this kind of setup. Eg. I have to file with US as well and deal with US-canada tax treaty or cross-boarder tax lawyer.

Thank you.
1 Reply

Doing freelance as OWP and Tax filing

TurboTax can handle employment income, self-employment income, and foreign income, so pretty much everything you are likely going to need for your Canadian Taxes. For 

If you have questions or need help with US taxes, please visit the website for TurboTax USA.

As for what you can or can't do under an open work permit - you would need to talk to someone knowledgeable in the subject, like Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada.