Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Asik
Returning Member

Efile with IRS does not submit my completed taxes, replies, 'duplicate SS numbers' suggesting I have already filed my taxes.

When I clicked on efile, the system would not file replying, 'duplicate SS numbers'.

Any suggestions? 

I have not filed my taxes and would not pay twice to file taxes. LOL. 

I paid with my CC, have receipt.

If services are not rendered, refund of charges will be immediate?

2 Replies

Efile with IRS does not submit my completed taxes, replies, 'duplicate SS numbers' suggesting I have already filed my taxes.

Your question has been posted in the TurboTax Live Community for Canada. For enquiries on U.S. matters, please contact them directly.

US Live Community Support

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

It depends.

It sounds like your Social Security number has already been used to file a tax return.  You can review your input by going into the My Info section of the program located in the black panel on the left. 

Review your personal information to ensure your Social Security number has been entered into the program correctly.

You can then try to submit your return again.

Log back into your return.  You will a button that says Fix My return.  

Once you select that button, the program will walk you through the steps or ask for the information needed to fix your return.  

Please see the attached for additional information. 

How to fix a rejected return 

If you still get an electronic filing rejection code, go ahead and print the return and mail it in.  The IRS may delay any refund while it attempts to verify the correct identity with the social security number.

In the meantime, you can also contact the IRS to report the suspected tax fraud.  See the following link on instructions on how to report the questionable activity. 

Reporting Tax fraud to the IRS 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"