Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Employement Insurance Maternity Benefits

I’m completing the tax return for my wife and I, and right under the area listing my wife’s maternity leave T4E amount, which was imported from the CRA, the following question appears:

“Did (my wife’s name) receive employement insurance maternity or parental benefits in 2019?

This amount can be found on the letter you received from Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC).”

What is this referring to? Is this the same thing as the T4E amount? Why would it be asking the same thing again? Is it something different? This question is stumping me, as well as this supposed letter from ESDC that we haven’t (yet?) received.

Thanks?

7 Replies

This is a new this year from CRA: 

Typically a T4E with only maternity leave on it would have the amount of maternity leave in Box 14, and no other amounts in other boxes.

If you never got a  letter from Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC)

then you would not enter an amount.

So if the T4E amount is $XXXXX, I should put that same amount in response to the question I listed above? I’m just confused because it seems slightly redundant!

Yes, that is correct.

ABEDNARCZYK
Returning Member

what if we have numbers in other boxes, like box 22?  I'm getting an error message saying that the amount reported cannot exceed the total in box 14.  should i deduct what's in box 22 from box 14 and report that as Employment Insurance Maternity Benefits?

I'm having the same question and error. And no matter if I say yes, or no, I get the same error.  Driving me nuts!

ABEDNARCZYK
Returning Member

I had the same problem. Before you click NO, erase the numbers you put when it was yes so it shows zero. Then the NO will remove the error.  I called CRa and ESDC, I never got a letter because I only received provincial benefits, not federal, so NO is the correct statement 

Scotty6

This did the trick. This was a combination problem of never getting a letter and thinking I did, coupled with Not deleting the numbers before clicking NO. What a stupid problem. Thanks for your help