Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Expensing an insurance claim deductible

I had an insurance claim for a piece of damaged business equipment (I am a sole proprietor). The insurance company wrote off the item (and salvaged it) and I received a payout less a deductible. I then purchased a replacement item at a higher cost.

If I understand correctly, I am to enter the lost item as a disposition (CCA, Area A, T2125), equal to the amount paid out by insurance. I then enter the new replacement item as an acquisition as usual.

However, what about the deductible? I didn't pay it outright, it was just subtracted from my insurance proceeds. Am I able to claim that amount as an expense, and if so, where?

Thank you!

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

As the deductible was not paid by you outright and you did receive a payout, it may be best to contact the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) to verify if the deductible is eligible and how it would be claimed if it is. The CRA can be called at 1-800-959-8281.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

As the deductible was not paid by you outright and you did receive a payout, it may be best to contact the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) to verify if the deductible is eligible and how it would be claimed if it is. The CRA can be called at 1-800-959-8281.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.