Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
free801

filing error 16

I filed a 2021 return yesterday for a first time filer.  I am getting error code 16 when I try to file the 2022 return today.  I have checked the SIN and date of birth.

3 Replies

filing error 16

The CRA will present you with NETFILE code 16 when it believes that you've never filed a Canadian tax return,. To remove this error, refer to the following list of instructions:

If you've filed a Canadian tax return before

1. Make sure you've entered your Social Insurance Number (SIN) correctly
  2. Make sure you've entered your date of birth correctly

If you're filing your first Canadian tax return

1. Select Find (or the magnifying glass icon) from the TurboTax menu
  2. In the Find window, type Personal Information and select Go
  3. Select Personal Information – Name and Birth Date from the list and select Go
  4. On the Let's get the rest of your personal info step, scroll to the question Are you filing an income tax return with the CRA for the first time? and answer Yes

Verifying your SIN and date of birth

1. Select Find (or the magnifying glass icon) from the TurboTax menu
  2. In the Find window, type Personal Information and select Go
  3. Select Personal Information – Name and Birth Date from the list and select Go

If you're still unable to resolve the error, Contact the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) to make sure your information matches what the CRA has on record.

funtimes4

filing error 16

With the online version, in the Let's get the rest of your personal info step, there is no setting to say that I have filed a tax return previously. When I first created my account, I believe I accidentally selected that I was a first time filer.

filing error 16

@funtimes4 It has changed in 2023. Now you have to go to My Info > [Name]'s Canadian Citizenship.