Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filing taxes for my wife and myself

Hello,

In the past (4 years and older), I would file taxes for both my wife and myself together using the Deluxe edition of TurboTax. About 3-4 years ago, I worked exclusively as a contractor and used the Self-Employed version to file taxes (for both her and I since I filed our taxes together, even though I was the only one of us two contracting). In 2021, I went back to working full time permanent status at my company while earning limited contracting income separately for another company on the side.

I'd like to know which version would best suit my current situation. My wife works part time and earns relatively low income. While I previously filed her taxes together with mine, I wonder if it would make more sense to file hers separately with the TurboTax Free version, because her taxes are very simple and straightforward. Then for myself, continue to use Self Employed or even Deluxe, if the latter has basic self-employed sections to fill out and donations, medical expenses, and employment expenses to claim.

Appreciate any insights or suggestions anyone may have.

Thank you,

Eddie

1 Reply

Filing taxes for my wife and myself

If you have Self-Employment income, then you will need to use TurboTax Self-Employed Online. 

If you prepare your return together with your spouse, then you will both will be using the same version of the program, and you will both be charged the same price. But if you prepare your returns separately, you can each choose a different product.