Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hantseast

Filing when a spouse has passed away

I am trying to prepare a return for a married couple and one has passed.  How can I file them together so all the information does not have to be inputted again?  When I try to transfer from last year, the instructions say to uncheck the checkbox of the taxpayer whose information you do not want to transfer then select ok, and if you are uncoupling because of a death, follow this process again.  However, you cannot get back to that page again.  I also found this from Turbotax: 

"The rule that governs is:  Taxpayers who do not remarry in the year their spouse dies can file jointly with the deceased spouse."   So, does this mean that I can file them jointly because the surviving spouse did not remarry?  I want to be able to transfer spousal credits and pension income splitting, and not sure how this will work if I need to file separate returns.

2 Replies

You are looking at information from the US version of TurboTax. In Canada, if your spouse has passed away, your marital status would be “widow”, not “married”, so you can’t prepare your return with your spouse. You can still transfer credits and do pension splitting. 

hantseast

Thank you - it would be so much simpler to do them together - there is so much going back and forth that I'm getting dizzy!