Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bikrampatracwc
Returning Member

Help with Spouse SIN Number

Hi, Myself Bikram an International Student in Montreal. I was filing my income tax return for 2019.  I am married since 2017 and during the year 2019, I was staying alone. She has recently in February 2020 got her Visa for Canada, but yet to travel to Canada to get a SIN number. In this situation how to file my income tax return? because without her SIN number I am unable to net file my documents to CRA.   I also tried with [social security number removed], still, I am unable to proceed

1 Reply

Help with Spouse SIN Number

When you are filing a Canadian tax return for yourself, and you have a spouse who does not have a SIN, you can enter on your own tax return 000 000 000 as her SIN number.

If you have started a tax return and chose to prepare both you and your spouse together, you will need to start a new return and only choose to prepare your own. 

Extra attention needs to be given to the section of TurboTax that asks about your Spouse's information, in particular, her Net Income. If her income is Zero or less than $12,069, you could be eligible to receive a Spousal Amount Claim for her. Please see the following information about claiming this credit for a Non-Resident Spouse. 

Claiming a non-resident spouse is more or less the same as claiming a resident spouse, as long as you have supported them during the year. Some things to keep in mind are:

• Make sure you have the documentation to support your claim. The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) needs proof that you’re in fact providing financial support to your spouse, so when payments are made, keep your documents together. The proof of payment you give to the CRA must include your name, the amount, the date of payment and your spouse’s name and address.
  • The amount you pay to a Non-Resident spouse must also be enough to be considered ongoing support. You cannot just make periodic small payments.
  • If your non-resident spouse or common-law partner has some income in your home country, it will also reduce the amount you can claim, even though the income is not reported on a Canadian tax return. If your spouse has an income above $12,069 CAD, the Spousal Amount claim would be completely eliminated.
  • To totally eliminate any claims for the Spousal Amount, enter a minimum of $15,000 as his/her net income in TurboTax.