Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I claim an unused provincial tuition and education amount carried forward from previous years?

I'm using TurboTax Online Self-employed. I have an unused provincial tuition/education amount that I would like to claim this year, but the only option with regards to carried-over amounts I'm being presented with is the option to carry the amount forward to next year, claiming none of it. The CRA says I should be looking for a box to enter this amount from a Schedule 11 form, box 9. But the sections of the Student page only mention/have spaces for T2202 and T11 forms.

I am eligible to claim this amount by all accounts --- I haven't moved from Alberta, the number is there clear as day in my CRA online account, but I do not see an option to actually claim. The "Student Summary" section just informs me that I'm claiming $0 of it and moves on. Where can I find this option?

3 Replies

How can I claim an unused provincial tuition and education amount carried forward from previous years?

The amount you must use on your tax return is equal to the amount of credit required to reduce the taxes you owe. The calculation for this amount is included in Schedule 11.

Sometimes you don’t need to claim your federal or provincial education tax credits. Maybe you didn’t make enough money to owe taxes, or perhaps other credits or deductions have already reduced your taxes to zero. When this happens, you can save the unused tuition tax credits to use in the future and the CRA will automatically apply them to taxes payable in the future till there is no amount left.

Please read the following TurboTax article to help you understand how it works. How to Claim Unused Tuition and Education Tax Credits

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

My amount owning has not been reduced to $0, that's exactly it. I would like to claim the unused amount this year, not carry it forward for later use. The linked article discusses how it can end up being automatically carried forward, which all makes sense, but gives me no information on how to actually claim the amount now. There's no automatic deduction going on either; the "Student Summary" section shows clearly that I will have the same number available to me next year. If it was automatically using that amount to reduce my amount owing already, it would be reduced to 0.

In order to help you with this situation, we believe your best option is to contact our telephone support team for further assistance, as they have the option to view your screen to help resolve the issue. To contact them, please follow this link: Contact Us. When asked if you wish to receive an email say NO then say "speak to a representative" then hold the line. 

​​​​​​​Thank you for choosing TurboTax.