Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cameron3

How do I figure out what mistake I made makes me not Netfile Eligible? My wife and I both have simple taxes, I was able to netfile hers, but not mine.

We have 1 kid, medical expenses, charitable giving receipts, not much else,
2 Replies

How do I figure out what mistake I made makes me not Netfile Eligible? My wife and I both have simple taxes, I was able to netfile hers, but not mine.

Did you get any error messages? Did you run the Review before you filed? Are you a first time filer or a non-resident?
cameron3

The problem was residency. I compared my printed return to my wife’s. Hers was blank in the current (changed) residence box. Mine had the same province as the previous residence. In the real world that’s the same as not moving, but the software didn't think so.  Once I cleared the new residence, mine netfiled. 

It was frustrating that the error was- "it’s one of these 20-362 things, good luck figuring it out", and not - "you can’t netfile because you said you moved."  It was also frustrating that I couldn't just ask the software, what's different between these two?