Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hordway90
Returning Member

How to file two different tax returns that are under different social insurance numbers?

Hi guys,

So in the year of 2019 I went from being a temporary resident of Canada to a permanent resident of Canada as my common law partner sponsored me which means that my social insurance number changed. I had two jobs in 2019, one of which was under my old social insurance number (as well as about $100 worth of unemployment benefits also under the old social insurance number) and then the rest of the income for the year is under the new and current social insurance number; so essentially, I have two T4s with two different social insurance numbers, but both are for me. Filing my taxes, I seem to only be able to put in one social insurance number. Which one do I pick, my current one or my old one? I'm filing my taxes separately from my partner if it makes a difference.

Thanks!

1 Reply

How to file two different tax returns that are under different social insurance numbers?

Use your most recent SIN number when it asks on your return, and then put in your t4s and other slips normally. The CRA should be aware of your SIN number change, though they may ask for a copy of your slips after you have filed.