Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
j-damon

I am filing joint, but only want to file one return right now. some info missing

I started 2 returns jointly, for my wife and myself but I only want to submit hers right now. How do I do that. I've gone as far as the payment section but DO NOT want to file mine yet.
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I am filing joint, but only want to file one return right now. some info missing

You don't have to file your returns at the same time, but if you want to file one and hold back the other time being, you'll still need to pay for both your returns.

Not to worry, once you've paid for your returns, you can still make whatever changes you need to until you file.

It's important to note that if you've prepared your returns together, if you change something in one return it can have an impact on the calculations of the other. You'll want to make sure that if you file one, you shouldn't then make changes in the other return before you file it.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

You don't have to file your returns at the same time, but if you want to file one and hold back the other time being, you'll still need to pay for both your returns.

Not to worry, once you've paid for your returns, you can still make whatever changes you need to until you file.

It's important to note that if you've prepared your returns together, if you change something in one return it can have an impact on the calculations of the other. You'll want to make sure that if you file one, you shouldn't then make changes in the other return before you file it.