Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am newly married to a US citizen and she lives and works in the US. I am attending university in the US on a F-1 visa. I have to file Canadian taxes for the year. Does my wife need to file?

I am newly married to a US citizen, she lives and works in the US. I am a student in the US on a F-1 visa. I need to file Canadian taxes. In order for me to claim GST and climate action incentive does my wife need to file Canadian tax? She does not have a SIN, TTN or ITN. Also what do I put on my return for spouses information?

2 Replies

I am newly married to a US citizen and she lives and works in the US. I am attending university in the US on a F-1 visa. I have to file Canadian taxes for the year. Does my wife need to file?

If your wife isn’t a Canadian resident and doesn’t owe any taxes, then she doesn’t have to file a tax return in Canada. However, on your tax return, you will still need to enter her name and birthdate. Use 000000000 for her SIN number. You can enter her income in Canadian dollars, or say “YES” when it asks if her income was zero. If you don’t know what her income is, then you will need to say “NO” to the spousal amount. 

Thanks that helps!