Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
English EN

Pick a language

Canada Français United States of America English
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Returning Member

Immigrant Spouse

My spouse is in immigrant to Canada and at the moment she does not have her citizenship
She is a student and currently has no income or SIN.
For the tax return, how would I continue the "spouse" portion.
sin number i entered as 000 000 000 , and income also ZERO

but would I also check of that I am claiming the spousal amount?

1 Reply

Immigrant Spouse

You can claim the spousal amount if you are supporting your wife financially. However, if you do claim this amount, the CRA may ask for proof that you are supporting her.