Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue applying for QC Tax Credit for Caregivers

I've been trying to add the Quebec Tax Credit for Caregivers (Schedule H, Section D):

Caregiver living with a person (not his or her spouse) 70 or over without an impairment but the TurboTax software will not allow me to apply, because the elder is not listed as a dependent.  I've searched online and this doesn't seem to be a requirement.  Is there a work-around or it's a bug with the software?

3 Replies

It is not a requirement from Revenu Quebec. But in TurboTax, you need to enter someone as a dependant to claim the Quebec Tax Credit for Caregivers, as their info needs to be entered on the Schedule H. 

Thank you for the response.  I don't feel comfortable listing the person as a dependent if they are not a dependent, in the usual income tax financial sense.  Do you expect TurboTax to make a modification in how the care recipient will be documented in the software or should I look for an alternative means to file my taxes?

Neither the CRA or Revenue Quebec get a list of dependants or any dependant information other than what is needed for the form. It's just the way TurboTax uses to collect the information and enter it into forms. It may be changed at some point in the future, but not for tax year 2023.