Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Left Canada for 4 months but came back before end of tax year

My working holiday visa expired in August of this year so I moved back to France in July. I applied for a student visa and got approved quickly after that so I moved back to Canada in October. There was a gap in my status between August 29th and October 10th. I didn't work in France and just stayed at my parents while most of my stuff was still in Canada as I was planning to move back shortly after. Should I indicate on my tax return the date I left Canada and the date I came back?

I usually spend the entire year in the country so I'm kinda confused about the procedures for this specific case.

1 Reply

Left Canada for 4 months but came back before end of tax year

You should double check with the CRA how they want you to report your absence, if you need to include it at all. If you are in Canada or the United States, you can call the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) at 1-800-959-8281. If you are elsewhere you can call 613-940-8495. This page has more ways to contact the CRA: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/corporate/contact-information/telephone-numbers.html