Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mailing address outside of Canada

Hello, 

As I moved out of the country, I tried to provide my current address from overseas (plus current phone number).

The problem is that it says I can't file my tax if my mailing address is outside of Canada. Plus it won't accept a phone number in a +XX [phone number removed]  format (ie with international code).

What should I do about it? Provide a friend's in Canada?

How about for the phone number? 

2 Replies

You don't need to put in a phone number - it's not a require field.

If you have a friend in Canada who will forward your mail to your, then yes, you can use their address. But if it's not the same as the address the CRA currently has on file for you, you'll need to contact them before you can NETFILE. You can update your info through the CRA’s My Account service or by calling them at 1-800-959-8281.

FYI: If you are a non-resident, or a deemed resident you still won't be able to NETFILE your tax return. This CRA page has more info on who is eligible and not eligible to NETFILE: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/e-services/e-services-individuals/netfile-overview/...

Appalbarry
Returning Member

So, just to be super clear: We moved from Canada to France in October 2021.

- For 2021 taxes we need to mail our returns to the CRA?

- For 2020 we were resident in Canada for the full year. Do we still need to mail everything in?

Thanks,

Barry