Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Medical Student On-Call Stipend in Box 28 T4A causing flag as self-employed

I went through my return as usual, but for my on call stipend, my T4A reported the amount in Box 28, and indicated "NO" when asked for box 28 if it was fees for service, and in the review section, I'm being given the warning "Your province of self-employment is different from your province of residence. TTO does not support Multijurisdictional returns. Review your entries."

Should I ignore this warning and continue with filing? I was not self-employed and am not registered as a business, this is a lump-sum payment received for on-call services required during 4th year of medical school.

3 Replies

Any income from the stipend or training programs is considered taxable income. Although, you can offset the taxable income with any expenses incurred that were related to the training program.

If it is a Warning and not an Error, then it can be ignored and skipped. The Warning alert does not automatically mean something was done or entered incorrectly. It can be triggered if a high amount of certain credits or deductions are being claimed. Click on Review to verify that the right amount has been entered by clicking on "Applies to me". Once reviewed you can click "Done with warnings" and return to your review. 

Warnings are there just to ensure that if the situation applies to you, you can go back and make any necessary modifications.
Errors, on the other hand, will prevent you from filing because something in your return is incorrect and the return will not be accepted by the Canada Revenue Agency.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

It's showing as an Error, but it also has the option to skip the error - Is this a TurboTax issue? Or do I need to contact the T4A issuer, as I was NOT self employed, but TTO is convinced I am because of the entry in Box 28

In order to help you with this situation, we believe your best option is to contact our telephone support team for further assistance, as they have the option to view your screen to help resolve the issue. To contact them, please follow this link: Contact Us

​​​​​​​Thank you for choosing TurboTax.