Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My return is complete, I go to file and I get this error message: "Specify the employment income you want to claim for Covid 19" How do you to fix this error?

Hi there, 
My return is complete, I go to file and I get this error message. 

"Specify the employment income you want to claim employment expenses on for working at home due to COVID-19. This can be done by selecting ‘yes’ to transferring employment income to form T777S in the applicable T4 slip"

The problem is when I go into the T4, there is no option to select yes in the T4.  I have selected "yes" to Will you claim employment expenses for working at home due to COVID-19 for income on this T4?  given that is the only option to select yes in turbo tax. Can anyone point me in the right direction to fix this error?
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My return is complete, I go to file and I get this error message: "Specify the employment income you want to claim for Covid 19" How do you to fix this error?

I have since figured out the issue....you have to go back into business expenses and select the T2200S format (short form) and ensure you have everything zero'd out in there if you wish to use the T2200 long form (or vice versa if you are opting to use the T2200S). The error was  due to leaving info in one of the 2 expense forms..that caused the NetFile error when trying to upload. 

Hope this info helps others caught in the error loop! 

View solution in original post

15 Replies

You will go to "Income"- T-Slips- T4 and click on edit your T4 and on the bottom of the T4 there is a question that must be answered- 
Will you claim employment expenses for working at home due to COVID-19 for income on this T4? You can enter Yes or No. 

Then you will be able to file your return.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Wish it was that simple...if I click yes to that question it gives me 2 Netfile errors and does not allow me to upload my return. If I click no to that question then it only gives me 1 Netfile error however it is still does not allow me to upload...I am in an error loop it seems and can't get out!  

Thinking there is another part of the return that needs to be changed but I have gone through it about 7 times now and can't find it anywhere.  

Ron

Click on find on the top right of your return. Type in Employment expenses- Go. The page will be Employment expenses Profile- please make sure that you answered the questions on that page. 

Hi again...went through that a bunch of times over and could not find anything specific to Covid 19 / working from home which seems to be the error for netfile purposes. Can you be more specific as to where this question is in that section?

I have a T2200 from my work so I have to do the long form for home offices expenses if that helps.  I have marked that correctly in that section and have claimed my expenses and my CCAs etc. However it still gives me the netfile error and won't allow me to upload.  

Just to be clear...I am looking for the place in the return form that will allow me to do the proposed error fix which is "This can be done by selecting ‘yes’ to transferring employment income to form T777S in the applicable T4 slip" ...I don't see anything about a T777S in  the T4 section or anywhere else in the return form to be able to fix this netfile error.  Thanks

The best thing for you to do from here is contact our phone support team at 1-888-829-8608 who can view your screen and be able to see what is missing. 

I have since figured out the issue....you have to go back into business expenses and select the T2200S format (short form) and ensure you have everything zero'd out in there if you wish to use the T2200 long form (or vice versa if you are opting to use the T2200S). The error was  due to leaving info in one of the 2 expense forms..that caused the NetFile error when trying to upload. 

Hope this info helps others caught in the error loop! 

Thank you for the feedback and that you figured out what caused the error. 

I have tried EVERYTHING mentioned in this thread while filing my wife's return and CONTINUE to get the **bleep** message.  I even deleted all her T4's, all her RRSPs, essentially started over for her and it continues to come up.  This is BEYOND frustrating.  How do I get past this stupid message which doesn't not apply to us.